photo courtesy of the Ute Pass Historical Society.
Chipita Park Colorado was originally named Ute Pass Park by William Blackmore in 1872.
Blackmore bought roughly 1,000 acres in the valley of the park, opening it up to European investors who helped build Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs and the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad.
When Mr. Blackmore died, the land was sold and used as ranch land, farming and lumber.
The Ute Pass Land and Water Company started to develop the park into a resort in 1890.
Homes, cottages and the Ute Hotel, built in August of 1890, overlooked the new Midland Railway depot.
Almost ten years after opening, the hotel caught fire and burnt down. No plans were made to rebuild it and the town stagnated until 1927.
Frank Marcroft, an enterprising man of vision, controlled the Ute Pass Land Company at the time.
He started development of the dormant town and renamed it Chipita Park, after the wife of Chief Ouray of the Ute Indians.
Marcroft traveled to the Midwest states to promote his mountain town. Soon Chipita Park had homes, cabins and a central business district in the town.
Land sale promotions were the big draw for people wanting to leave the hot, humid Midwest and live the cool summer months in the mountains of Colorado.
Many different cabin floor plans were offered, and in the 1930's a home with four rooms, bathroom, fireplace, garage and beautiful views could be yours for $2,500.
William Marcroft died of a heart attack during a business trip to Oklahoma, promoting Chipita Park.
Howard Wilson took up the reins of Mr. Marcroft's vision and continued with his plans.
Not much as changed about Chipita Park since the 1890's. A little more modern, but still the same peaceful park that became famous as an investors paradise.